Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Ginger, as good as oLd

I attended a wedding dinner on Saturday evening. The bride was my cousin on my Dad's side but we were never cLose as I grew up mainLy with the cousins on my Mom's end.

It was heLd at the SwisshoteL @ RaffLes City, quite a grand baLLroom, yet a simpLe dinner and formaLity. There were toastings, catch-ups between reLatives and friends, the joyous moments of the coupLe and their reLatives and the common things you wiLL see at a typicaL Singaporean wedding dinner. The event was what we put it as, cLassicaLLy simpLe.

The onLy moment I got out of the evening, was towards the end of the dinner when my grandmother, in her 80s aLready, hoLding hands tight with the granny of the groom's famiLy. I can onLy perceive being in her shoes.

Looking in my grandma's eyes, I see no fear, no emotions. With her grey, siLky but thinning hair, one couLd but wonder what exactLy an eLderLy being is thinking about. I did not ask her though, for my cantonese is not even cLose to basics.

Somehow I thought though, that if I were to reach my 80s and the most of the important peopLe have aLready Left, in this worLd, there are nothing more for me to hoLd onto.

The art of Letting go, can onLy be truLy understood with experience.

No comments: