Wednesday, May 07, 2008

tender care

juz a day after i turned 24, i went under the knife of the surgeon to fix my right hand.

the past twenty-four hours went like a dream .. i laid on the bed, the nurses wheeled it into the operating theatre .. more than once the staff asked to confirm my name, identity card number and the type of surgery i'm due for .. then the youthful, pretty anaesthatist gave a jab on my neck, followed by asking me to breathe in some "oxygen" and i'm gone.

the next thing i knew when i awoke, i felt an acute pain in my right wrist, a terrible sore throat and an urge to throw up .. two nurses then wheeled me away while i'm still in a sub-conscious mode, though i can see that the two nurses are younger than i am .. i suppose im really getting older now at 24.

i reached my ward, they transferred me to the bed and changed my clothing .. i was stripped but only to the disposable underwear they provided earlier before the surgery. as i began to throw up, one of the nurses was patting on my back while i vomit into a little bag they gave me .. then, i went to sleep. in the meantime i was given more jabs and one nurse cut her finger from broken glass. she said she was used to it ...

throwing up was just like a hangover, the taste, the feeling is totally the same .. itz terrible. i skipped dinner and the only time i had something was breakfast the next morning.

the uncle next to me was a jovial man. he has been talking to me since i came but i did not have much energy to reply him. i spoke to him more only the next morning, this morning that is, but it was only a few hours to my discharge. and he keep insisting on me to stay for lunch coz itz juz an hour away ..

nursing is an extraordinary career, itz more than providing good service but of giving care from the heart.

i dun think any of the "missy" will get to read this post, but to them of sgh blk 7 ward 75, i really thank them for making my short stay so worth remembering.


from my bed ..

No comments: