Sunday, December 03, 2006



More than just it ..

In the wee hours of the morning when everyone were enjoying sweet dreams, I woke up from sLeep, bathed, had a hot cereaL drink and set off. Out in the neighbourhood, a coupLe of Lights were on at some bLocks and for once you know .. this is the day, where runners gather. This is the day, where marathoners wiLL be born.

My best friend and I, we were one. We started together weLL. We ran as one .. but unfortunateLy He for once, became weak. At times when I persevered, He toLd me sorts ; it is Long way .. you cannot do it .. your knee is sore .. your cramps are coming up .. you need a break .. sLow down ..

On the other hand, I saw a caucasian coupLe standing by the barricades, cLapping the runners on. They cLapped as one .. at Marina South .. at East Coast .. throughout, they were there for you. And I bet they are great peopLe .. with them, I fought against Him. I waLked, took breaks, but I did not give up .. coming 5km to the end, I starved Him from a banana and water and toLd Him to have them onLy at the end of it.

So, hoLding a cup of 100-PLus on one hand and a banana on the other, and amidst the enthusiastic cheers from the crowd, I crossed the Finish Line with my best friend, Me.

There is Spiderman and Catwoman too! They were Ladies in their fifties. The inspiration characters of the day wiLL go to the woman who ran dragging a tyre tied to her waist .. and the oLd uncLe in his seventies of whom I ran the Last 200m aLongside with ..

The tyre-dragging woman had one message open to aLL .. itz something to do with recycLing. WhiLe the oLd man do not have any, he made sure I read an unsent signaL to aLL the younger runners who finished behind him. I said "weLL done, sir!" He panted, smiLed and forced a soft "thank you .." At the Finish Line, i saLuted him, and shook his hand. No, the honour wasnt his, it was mine. Some others acknowLedged his accompLishment through the same gesture.

So you see it ain juz a marathon .. this is the run for humanity.

No comments: