Sunday, January 06, 2008

ReLigion

For years I have had this perception that peopLe who commits to a particuLar reLigion are not strong in nature. My perception may be offensive, but somehow there is truth in it. A reLigion exists for peopLe to foLLow so they have a direction in Life. At Least, they have a beLief in something and that gives them the drive to move forward. I wiLL not eLaborate my perception further to prevent writing about sensitive issues but today, me and my feLLow soccer mate, Jet, taLked about how much simiLar footbaLL is to a reLigion.

In fact, unknowningLy, it IS our reLigion.

Like many reLigions, we commit ourseLves to footbaLL pLaying it, taLking about it, discussing it and adoring it. On Sunday mornings, we gather to feeL it. We even have our own reLigious outfit known as The Jersey. We even worship pLayers.

It is truLy amazing how come footbaLL has yet to officiaLLy be known as one reLigion when the whoLe worLd is crazy over it.

No comments: